Unlike other apprentice schemes you will be trained by a qualified educator who has real industry experience. You will serve your time on the building site, learning practically from your employer, but also attend theory classes at Polytech to complete the necessary theory and assessment components of your apprenticeship.
- Designed as a robust and in-depth course ITAB gets apprentices up to speed with the latest industry standards.
- More comprehensive than shorter schemes ITAB provides approximately 8000 hours (over 4 years) of extensive practical experience and solid theoretical training giving apprentices a broad set of valuable professional skills.
- ITAB apprenticeships are available throughout New Zealand and apprentices who are currently in other schemes can switch over.
Once enrolled and completed graduates receive New Zealand Certificate in Carpentry – Level 4.
Training fees are set by each Polytechnic and vary between each region, it pays to contact the ITAB provider directly, they include:
- All Polytechnic training fees*
- NZQA fees
- Text Books, training manuals, resources
- Onsite visits by ITAB accredited Tutor
- Night Class, Block Course or Day release attendance at Polytechnic Campus
- Some Polytechnics include the annual ITAB fee of $150*
What is an Apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is a formal work-based training programme. In New Zealand there are rules and guidelines that must be adhered to meet the requirements of the Tertiary Education Commission, which include:
- Over 16 years or older.
- Three Parties – Employee (apprentice) | Employer | ITO or ITP (Polytechnic)
- Full time Employment in the occupation for which they are training.
- Throughout the apprenticeship, must be supported by a training plan agreed to by all parties.
- Studying towards the relevant qualification in your chosen profession
- Upon completion achieved a level 4 qualification, comprising a minimum of 120 credits
The Code of Good Practice for New Zealand Apprenticeships sets out the responsibilities of all parties involved in an apprenticeship, for more information click here:
ITAB encourages anyone, regardless of age or gender, to undertake a Carpentry Apprenticeship. There is no qualifying requirement, i.e. NCEA level 1 or equivalent but you must demonstrate competence and have been formally offered an apprenticeship by your employer. You’ll need to be in full time employment and be 16 years or older*.
*If under the age of 18yrs old – signature of a parent or legal guardian is required.
Simply follow the steps below to get your training underway:
- Contact your local Polytech (click here to go to the Polytech Partners page)
- Enrol with your local Polytech and nominate your preference to be part of the ITAB apprentice program
- Once enrolled your local Polytech will ask you to complete an ITAB application, which will then be sent to us for processing.
If you have any questions please contact us on 0800 ITABUILD (0800 482284) or via email email@example.com.